Tuesday, July 20, 2010

41 Years Ago

I'm lucky enough to have been alive for the single most important moment in human history, the first time humans stepped out onto another celestial body.

41 years ago today, July 20, 1969, we made it to the Moon.



This mind-boggling technical - and human - triumph never ceases to amaze and astound me, and bring up a sense of pride that I find almost impossible to muster any other way. It makes me truly sad to hear teens and 20-somethings address this amazing event with a combination of snark and apathy; in their lives, they've never known something so momentous, unique, a few minutes that brought all humanity together with the deepest sense of connection and pride. To those bravest souls who faced the unknown with fierce determination, and in some cases, gave their lives, I salute you for your courage and sheer chutzpah. Just try to imagine what it felt like, hurtling through the darkness of space, all sense of reality skewed, knowing that one bad decision could strand you and your crewmates to the coldness of the infinite. It just takes my breath away.

2 comments:

anaglyph said...

And to think they got there with the computing power that is several magnitudes less than what resides in an iPhone!

Miracle.

dusty said...

Respect,

And regarding that "apathy", I tend
to think it's probably deliberately nurtured, but the optimist in me likes to believe it's only dormant for three meals.
Know what I'm saying?

Back to the source

I obtained a secret video of Kimberly Guilfoyle's "speech" last night, as shot through the "They Live" sunglasses. D...