Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MacWorld Minus Mac

In a stunning turn of events, Apple today announced that 2009 will be the last year that they participate in the the venerable MacWorld Expo, held in San Francisco in January each year since 1984. This means that Apple will no longer attend any major computer tradeshow - they've bailed out of CES, NAB and the European shows, and outside of their own Worldwide Developer Conference which usually takes place in the spring/summer, they have no presence at any other technology conference of note. Also announced was the fact that Apple CEO Steve Jobs would not make his yearly keynote this January, another surprise that is stoking further rumors of undeclared health issues. What really takes the cake for me is that January 2009 marks the 25th anniversary of the Macintosh, which had many of us hoping for something exciting in the wings for the Expo. Rumors of an update to the Mac mini are setting the tone, and it ain't grand.

2 comments:

Strangeglow said...

I'm not surprised and I think the answer is simple. Apple has never been good about sharing. Especially not the spotlight. Given their current success, why tie their announcements and development cycles to someone elses' tradeshow?

David Biedny said...

I suspect you're exactly right, they were tired of having to have product announcements in January, a TERRIBLE time to do such things. Still, not having ANY presence at MacWorld is a little extreme - I mean, ditch the keynotes, but have a frikkin booth. So I assume this means that the Developer Pavilion is history too, right?